Granny’s Amazing Italian Spaghetti Sauce

 



Grandmother’s always have incredible memories and traditions to bring their own spin and personal stamp to their family’s. David’s mom, Marylene, brings so much to the family.  Her recipes have taught me a lot about cooking, but also speaks to the love she poured into raising her 9 children.

One thing I have discovered in my food adventures over these last few years is you don’t mess with childhood flavors.  My childhood flavor is over cooked spaghetti noodles and a can of Hunt’s (mom would say “Hunt for the best”) tomato sauce.  If you really want to pull on my heart strings, you place 5 pats of butter on soft white loaf bread and place it under the broiler until burned.  Then, scrap off the burned parts with a butter knife.  Not enough carbs for you? Well, add frozen crinkle fries with tons of ketchup..my favorite childhood memory dinner.

When I cooked Granny’s spaghetti sauce this weekend, I discovered one of David’s favorite childhood memory flavor I couldn’t mess with! I like to get blocks of cheese and grate it myself since it is cheaper and has no flour or other preservatives in it.  Parmesan triangles have more of a robust and salty flavor. After eating spaghetti for a few days, he mentioned he wanted some grated Parmesan. David wanted the kind from his childhood that comes in a shaker!  Knowing how much those childhood flavors mean to me, I obliged and for the last day of spaghetti leftovers, he had his grated parm!


Granny’s Amazing Italian Spaghetti Sauce

Ingredients:

1 Can of the following:

Tomato sauce

Tomato Paste

Tomato Purée

Tomato Soup

Tomato Juice

Add a 1/2 can of water for each can - 2.5 cans total

8 oz olive oil

1/2 green pepper finely chopped

1 garlic bulb finely chopped

1 can of mushrooms

1 small onion finely chopped

1/2 tsp hot sauce

1 pound ground beef/venison 

1 pound ground pork

2 tsp worchestershire sauce

In skillet, pour olive oil and let it get hot.  Fry beef mixture & vegetables until done.

Add tomato ingredients and hot sauce and stir.  Add mushrooms.  Cook 30 minutes or until thick.  Stir in 2  tsp of worchestershire sauce.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

David's Tangy Pasta Salad

Veggie Pizza

Shrimp and Corn Tostada - food lion